Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Separated by a common headline

Two questions:

1) What's your first-glance reading of what the headline means?
2) Where are you from? (Specifically, where did you learn to read headlines?)


I have to admit I was led up a garden path. The first headline I'm completely confident of remembering is a healthy American YES GLENN DOES IT (for John Glenn's flight in 1962), and my copyediting class was in 1975, and when I see a noun, I expect it to be either doing or being done to by the handiest verb. Hence my first reading -- or my wait-what, let's-back-up-and-try-again reading -- was that an arrest (which occurred after the hack) was the subject: "Arrest exposes 106m people."

Clearly that's not what the BBC hed writer had in mind, because British hed writers have a different toolbag. They can use an understood existential phrase (here, "there has been an ...") before the noun. They have an array of sub-rules to draw on as well, and the inside hed (where the verb after the hidden existential is passive) doesn't cause the same glitch for me:



The hidden existential is no more "wrong" than driving on the left side of the road, but either one is likely to cause a little confusion before the jet lag wears off -- or if you're reading the BBC or watching a character get into a car in a British sitcom. Headline styles are flexible. In another 25 years, the practice of clickbaiting* might have made the subject-verb-object heds we teach as gospel today look as quaint as the Flying Verb does. 

* Come see the paper next week in Toronto!

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home