Sunday, June 28, 2009

Shall we place a bet?

Q: So -- stupid generalizations about the universality of cultural icons are OK when they appear in the Times, right?

A: I was a dark, brooding teenager, and everywhere I turned there was a poster of a beaming woman with wild blond hair, her smile as wide as the Texas sky, in a low-cut scarlet bathing suit that, every man now over the age of 40 can tell, revealed what was in 1976 the scandalous hint of a nipple.

No. Why on earth would you think that?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So if I'd been 8 in 1976 rather than only 7 I'd know what this was about?

10:54 PM, June 28, 2009  
Anonymous rayb said...

That whole batch of words seems like it was thrown at a page. It just doesn't hang together. It didn't this morning. It doesn't tonight. And I don't think I'll give it another chance.

11:08 PM, June 28, 2009  
Blogger fev said...

I just checked. It didn't get any better overnight.

And yes, apparently there is knowledge that simply is not available to people who were born in the wrong year. Though I'm starting to think there's a "Logan's Run" thing going on here -- "over 30," for example, means "over 30 but not over 35."

5:04 PM, June 29, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home