Sunday, August 14, 2005

Oh, stop it

Has it occurred to anybody at a certain southeastern fount o'knowledge that I might not feel up to a game of Twenty Questions at this hour of the morning?

Are base-closing savings inflated?
Review panel members say Pentagon overstated benefits by up to 50%

Did Roberts believe in clients' cases?
Maybe yes, maybe no; lawyers say goal is good argument, not opinion

In the first case, it seems as if we have a pretty good story on our hands: Most people on this board say the claimed savings ain't entirely there. Let's see if we can't get that into the big type, rather than being coy. In the second, we're practicing the sort of intellectual dishonesty that small minds are happy to take as proof of our liberal bias. This tale isn't about whether Roberts in particular had his fingers crossed as much as whether that's common among lawyers.

The bottom line, again and again and again: I'm paying for some insights here. Why are you asking me?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Fred! There was a day this summer when the JS ran two question heds on the front and another two inside. It hurt. In my defense, I wasn't working that night!

One of the 1A heds worked, in my opinion -- always hard to do with a headline with a "?" at the end. But when I saw the story stripped across the front ("Was Iran's new president a kidnapper?"), for a second-day story, I might add, it made me yell all sorts of non-mother-friendly things in my apartment.

11:03 PM, August 27, 2005  
Blogger fev said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:59 AM, August 28, 2005  
Blogger fev said...

Hey, Steph. Drop a note this way sometime and update us on your status, OK?

And keep fighting the good fight. Someday the Forces of Light will win.

11:14 AM, August 28, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home