Sunday, March 27, 2011

Slay kin drop fed case

It's partly the reverse border, I think, that helps me read this hed as "drop-fed case." And while drip-fed is substantively different from drop-kicked, I still count this one as a distinctively American tab hed.

The British redtops are laws unto themselves, and our heds are never going to duplicate something as cool as "Nude pic row vicar resigns."  "Slay kin," though, is a notch beyond standard Post. "Drown kid," we know, means "young person who drowned," but "slay kin" doesn't mean "relatives who were slain"; it means "family of person who was slain." The Post is a Murdoch property, meaning it's a citizen of the world, but this extra syntactic bump helps make clear that tabloid knowledge operates in a world all its own.

"Slay kin drop fed case" isn't as cool a noun string as the British get, then, but it's convoluted in its own New World way. Your thoughts?

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Picky said...

Apart from the fact that slay isn't used much in BrE (except in less cheerful OT readings, of course) my inner redtop sub wants to find a noun to take slay's place. Unless slay has become a noun in MurdochE?

4:43 AM, March 27, 2011  
Blogger The Ridger, FCD said...

I read it as "kin of slain person/people", mostly I guess because if it had been "kin who were slain" they wouldn't have been dropping anything... It's ugly, though.

4:13 PM, March 28, 2011  
Anonymous Ed Latham said...

I think the difference is, in UK tabloid heds, the confusion is created by a pile-up of nouns, some of which could genuinely be read as verbs. With Post heds, though, it's caused by verbs being used as adjectives, which as a UK reader I find genuinely baffling. (I never got the sense of the story from the hed - I had to read the blogpost to understand it.)

That's what gives it its transatlantic flavour, I reckon. You could never do this in a british tabloid - it would have to be 'kin of slain' at the very least.

9:08 AM, March 29, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home