Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Oh, shut up

Q: Could you write a stupider hed than this?

A: Could I write a stupider hed than this? I don't know. I'm a little out of practice. It's going to take a while.

Q: No, I mean could one write a stupider hed than this?
A: I guess. I mean, it'd take a lot of work, but you don't want to rule it out.

Q: Does it have enough exclamation points?
A: No, definitely not. If you're going to pretend it's a regular hed and not a hammer, you want enough exclamation points to fill the second line, as in this example from the old Barricada days:

CONGRESISTAS
INSOLENTES!!!!!!


Q: What if it didn't have any exclamation points at all?
A: It would be marginally but not significantly (p=.13) less stupid.

Q: Isn't that an improvement, though?
A: No, not really.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger The Ridger, FCD said...

What seems to make this really stupid is that (I gather) Hoke is consider the right choice. That makes it NOT audacious.

11:28 AM, January 15, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home