Sunday, June 15, 2008

Happy I'm-my-own-grandpa day

This just in from the Carrboro buro (say that three times real fast):

But out on the campaign trail, Mr. Obama, of Illinois, was warmer and cozier, sometimes adopting the Bill Clintonesque I-feel-your-pain message used to such great effect by his wife, Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton, in swing states.

Whom could that "his" be referring toom? Surely not "Clintonesque." That's an adjective, and we've never had a President Clintonesque anyway. No, the antecedent has to be (where's Faye Dunaway when you need her?) -- Obama himself!

Thank you, Nation's Newspaper of Record.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

...I'll probably never see any responses to this as I don't even know what this site is about, and won't be coming back (as I came across this in a google search looking for a decent version of the "I'm my own grandpa" song), but whoever wrote this little "article" or whatever it is... is an IDIOT.

"His wife, Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton"... how is that "his" referring to Obama? "Clintonesque" may not be the name of a president, but the root word, CLINTON is. Besides... who else could "Hillary Clinton's husband" be referring to?

9:35 PM, July 06, 2008  
Blogger fev said...

It's always good to hear from people who have good taste in music and no understanding whatsofreakingever of the syntax and pragmatics of their home language.

12:36 AM, July 07, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home